300 Grams Chapter 3
Tasa: a truck driver hit your sons shop very badly while they were inside and tore it into pieces right before my eyes.
Jaha: *Stands still in a deep shock, eyes open and mouth dried*
Tasa: Aunt jaha *moves her with his hand* lets hurry up, let’s go.
Jaha: *Collects herself back, tries to become strong as she knows all the kids are left to her and she is the only here to take care of the situation* okay tasa lets go *nods*.
Jaha: *Stands still in a deep shock, eyes open and mouth dried*
Tasa: Aunt jaha *moves her with his hand* lets hurry up, let’s go.
Jaha: *Collects herself back, tries to become strong as she knows all the kids are left to her and she is the only here to take care of the situation* okay tasa lets go *nods*.
*As she starts moving out of the room with tasa there appears a kid running towards the room, she thinks that maybe she recognize him as her mind has stopped working so it’s hard to decide*
Tasa: *tasa looks behind him* Khal? How did you come here? Are you okay? I thought you are hit too.
*jaha gets moved, hearing name of his beloved son khal and looks at the kid in front of him*
Jaha: *gets on her knees, hugs him and starts crying* Khal, my son *cries louder* I thought something has happened to you *leaves him and start searching his body for wounds* are you okay my son, are you hurt?
Khal: *looks at his mom and uses hands to clean her tears* I am completely okay, don’t worry about me but Sar is not okay he was not able to come with me, it was so dark that I was not able to see what has happened to him. He sent me here so that I could bring message that he is alive.
Jaha: *body continues to shiver, mouth vibrating and tears starts flooding eyes again* my Sar, I am sure he will be okay, nothing will happen to him, nothing! *gets up* lets go Khal. Tasa you stay here at home, if someone asks about me tell them that I will be back in a moment *after saying this she rushes out with her son Khal even though she knows rushing like this is not good for her* # In Afghanistan females don’t rush around no matter what, it is considered bad manners as if she rushes the bundle of clothing that she is wearing will not be holding her body hidden anymore # *Jaha didn’t took care of the customs that are not part of Islamic society but were part of the second religion that was afghan customs*
Khal: *while rushing with his mom* mom don’t worry Sar is okay he is little bit hurt I think, you don’t worry please.
Jaha: *looks at his son and pats him* I am not worried son; I am rushing as I don’t want him to bleed more if he is bleeding *thinks to herself, how I cannot be worried he is my son after all. Not only son, Sar was the one who gave me the title that every women wants in her life “Mother” I was 16 when I became mother.
At that time I didn’t even knew what motherhood means but still I had an angel in my arms and people were telling me that he is my son, when I used to look at him, hold him, there was always a smile on my face. I used to feel like that Allah has promised me heavens. We used to live in village, we were poor but I gave him everything that was necessary, loved him as a mother and as a friend. After all we both didn’t have much difference of age, *Smiles*.
I still remember how we got our home in the city of Kabul; I used to tell your father:
Jaha: you work for intelligence, your brother is a minister, do find a way to get a house for us, all people apply for it and they receive it. Why you don’t try too, what will you get out of this drinking and girls, can’t you see that even you are earning, we are still hungry and homeless.
Sira:*he is jaha’s husband who is 7 years older than her, once he used to be a good person later when he started earning in the city and left the village, he never saw anything except girls and drinks* I don’t care about you jaha and these children, don’t you dare to ask me again bit*h.
Jaha: *looks at him* it’s not that I can’t earn money or I can’t find a job, don’t forget I made you educated, today that you have your master’s degree it’s all because of my effort, otherwise we both know you were a failure. If I get out of home and work it will hurt your afghan customs, then people will start talking about your family and you, that’s why I am quite.
Sira: *went to sleep due to large quantity of vodka*
When your father showed his worthlessness one more time I decided that I will get a house for us, as living in my sister’s home for free was a mess, every day she used to fight and complained about various things without a reason but I can’t blame her, keeping someone at home for more than year is an issue. So I went and talked with my friend Maria *Maria is wife of a Minister who had the authority of distribution of houses* # In Afghanistan it was the Russian time and at that time the government was distributing houses to people those who didn’t have, they were basically flats in Kabul city that were very well made # I told Maria that I want a house Its really getting hard now living like this, she was really a nice person she guided her daughter and accompanied her with me, as entering the ministry without knowing someone or having some special card was not possible. So I took Sar and Maria’s daughter Natasha with me to the ministry, when we reached there I told Sar to wait outside under the Shahtoot tree (mulberry tree or sometimes known as king’s mulberry tree).
Natasha and I went inside the ministry and when the guards stopped us Natasha provided the evidence that she is the daughter of minister, they knew her anyway. We both entered many offices over there for the house issue and this continued for some days, in the same manner Sar used to wait under the Shahtoot tree and we used to go inside. One day I met minister when I was there in ministry he asked me and apologized that he didn’t knew that I was moving around for the house, otherwise he would have solved out the issue earlier.
Minister: *looking away from her* Mam jaha why do you come here, you could have just told me through Sira, I would have done that in no time, I am feeling really bad that such issue aroused which made you come here, I am really sorry for this.
Jaha: *looking to the ground* well sir, I didn’t sent my husband as he is a bit shy to ask you for this and I didn’t wanted to disturb you that’s why I came here to ask for the house on my own, anyway I have your daughter she is really helpful, one sweet child. *smiles while looking at Natasha*
Minister: *Looks at his daughter and talks to jaha* well you will not need to come again I will sort out house things today. You go home, you will have your own house in a few days and Natasha you stay here with me my darling *smiles*.
Natasha: *nods*
Jaha: *with thankful voice* I am really thankful to you and your family sir, you all are very supportive. Okay i will go home now as my son is waiting for me outside, say my Salam *it’s a muslim hello* to Maria *turns and starts walking out of the ministry and goes towards the Shahtoot tree where her son Sar will be waiting for him, when she reaches there she gets shocked to see what Sar was doing there*
Sar: *gets scared after seeing his mom*
Jaha: *talks in a pitching sound* what are you doing Sar? Don’t you know that you shouldn’t eat the shahtoots that are on ground, they are dirty my son, you will get sick.
Sar: *moves away his eyes and looks at the ground* I know mom they are dirty, I was eating them so that they could fill my belly somehow and later when you bring the lunch to eat, you eat the meal that is for me *tears appears in his eyes and voice changes* mom I can’t see you stay hungry while filling our belies.
Jaha: *hugs him with opened eyes and sighs* Sar I am not hungry, I eat when you people are done eating, I eat secretly *tears fall on Sar’s forehead*
Sar: *hugs his mom and holds his tears* yes I know!*
How can I forget those harsh days that you spent with me Sar, you were a kid but still you understood situation more than my other three kids. You were always like a friend to me in times of need, a protector in times when your father used to beat me and a sweet child in times of caring. *reaches the shop where Sar used to sit with Khal*
Khal: mom this way *points to the other side of the road where a small stream runs*
Jaha: *crosses the road and look into the stream, toilet papers, biscuits and all the stuff that Sar and Khal used to sell are now part of stream and completing their journey with the water but jaha’s eyes are searching for his son*
Khal: *makes a sudden sound* there!
Jaha: *looks in the direction where Khal is pointing and sees a human body wearing torn clothes and laying lost as if dead*





